Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Respect

Respect: esteem or admiration; consideration: a respect for power, a feature or detail.

I sent an e-mail to a friend today and the word "respect" came up in the writing, so seeing how my mind tends to think on certain things as they come along I've been thinking on respect. I believe that there is not enough respect in the world today, if people would just show each other a small amount of respect things would go a lot smoother in the world.
Now I've always said "respect is not something that can be bought, but must be earned". But on the same note, I believe that everyone deserves respect. That is, when you first meet someone you should show them what I consider "common courtesy respect". Now the way that person treats you in return will decide if they will gain what I call "true respect" or if they will only be treated with common courtesy. To gain someone's true respect is an honor and should be something that is handled with care, because once you lose someone's true respect, it is hard to gain it back ( In my case I'm very bullheaded and when someone loses my "true" respect they will never gain it back).
And yes I believe that you should show superiors at work respect, the only problem is that most of the time it will only be common courtesy, because most people that get into a position of power believe that their position entitles them to respect, well it doesn't, you must give respect to get respect.
I've also heard it said, "with rank (power) comes responsibility". The only problem is that in today's society, people believe that with more power comes less responsibility. And that brings us back to seniority, but I won't get into that one again today because you know how I feel about that.......

2 Comments:

Blogger Sea Change said...

I completely agree. People don't consider who they are affecting in their every day lives (anymore), if they ever did. But if people did consider that if they do something, it might shift into someone else's life, and affect them. Either the person affected will have a negative or positive reaction. People need to try to make people respond positively instead of so negatively. Then there will be respect. Btw, thank you for your comment, you were right-on about that, too. : ) Love *and respect* your blog.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

i agree with jenn!! :)

nice introspective entry!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home