Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A Brief History.

I'm always talking about a balance in the universe and making other statements about controlling your mind, so I thought I would give you a little history about myself so you can tell were part of my experience comes from. In August of 1995 I became tired of being a typical "couch potato" and joined a Tae Kwon Do class. In February of 1997 I received my black belt and before I quit training in a Dojo in November 2002 I had received my 2nd degree and was up to test for my 3rd degree, which I never did. The time I spent in training changed my whole outlook on life. Before I had a temper, was very rude to people and all and all I was not what I consider a likeable person.
Training in Tae Kwon Do was not all kicks and punches, we had to learn history of Korea as well. Also each day before starting a class we had a student oath that we stated before we began. It went as follows: I shall observe the tenets of Tae Kwon Do, I shall respect instructors and seniors, I shall never misuse Tae Kwon Do, I will be a champion for freedom and justice, I will build a more peaceful world. We also recited the six tenets which are the following and the definitions that associated with them:
Courtesy: Respecting the authority of an instructor or senior in or out of the Do Jang.

Integrity: One must be able to define right from wrong, and have the conscience, if wrong, to feel guilt.

Perseverance: To achieve something, whether it is a higher degree of perfection of a technique, on must set goals and then constantly persevere.

Self-Control: An inability to live or work in ones sphere is a lack of self-control.

Indomitable Spirit: If confronted with injustice, he or she will deal with the belligerent without any fear or hesitation regardless of whosoever and however many the number may be.

Victory: The overcoming of obstacles such as learning a new kick or form, the obstacles sometimes seem great, but once conquered, become a victory in the long battle for success and superiority.


I no longer go to a Dojo and work out, but I still try to follow the student oath and the six tenets and use them in my day to day life. Also I've learned that it's better to keep your head in a stressful situation and settle it without violence. Because a fight avoided is a fight won.

Last and not least I have always heard it said and I like the phrase: "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness".....

3 Comments:

Blogger The Irish Druid said...

Hey thanks for your comment. It's nice to know that theres some one out there who looks at both side of the problem, and also uses common sense. Your blog is awsome, and you are indeed very profound. Keep up o' good fight for whats right.

Irish-Parker

7:02 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

True. Kindness is never weakness, it is infact strength. For to be consistently kind towards others takes a lot of patience and love.

I believe the origin of tae-kwon-do is rooted upon respect and self-discipline. I guess the overall balance of a person defines his true potentials, and thus with this skill one's physical as well as mental prowess are being exercised. (did it make sense?, haha)

My cousins in the States are tae-kwon-do champions and they do say that there are many valuable lessons that could be gained from it in order to succeed in life, aside from being able to do high-kicks.

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come its a brief history but you never said how old you are?

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home