Thursday, June 22, 2006

The "Iceman" Almost Had A Meltdown

As some of you already know, while I was at SWAT school I received the nickname of Iceman. The guys said that I never showed any emotions and was like ice, so the name was handed down. I'm not saying that I have no emotions, I just like to keep them in check.
Last week I almost let my guard drop and show some true anger to a man, fortunately I was able to keep my anger in check and did not show the man any emotions, but believe me it wasn't easy. Here's a summary of what happened. My sergeant arrested a man for public intoxication, so as you could guess, the man was not very happy and like most people who are intoxicated he wasn't thinking very well. I was the lucky one who got to transport the happy suspect to the jail. And as you could guess, I was cussed and yelled at all the way to jail. Now I've been cussed before, been called everything from a bastard to a coward and it never bothers me, I know that when I deal with people they are not having a good day and I just let them vent. The man I was transporting was very upset, and he told me he was going to break my jaw when I took the hand cuffs off him, told me how the police are nothing but a bunch of cowards hiding behind a badge and that I must be the biggest coward of them all since I was not exchanging words with him. Like I said this kind of thing doesn't bother me, and by the way he did just as he was told at the jail when the cuffs were taken off and didn't try to break my jaw as promised.
The one thing that did catch my attention and almost got him a response was when the man told me that when he got out of jail he was going to find my wife and f**k her. For one spilt second I was ready to forget about my job and turn the man loose and see what he was made of, but the thought quickly passed and I regained control with out the man ever knowing that he had gotten to me for that one second, which would have been bad. Like I say never let someone know your true feelings, because they can be used against you.
Well as you could guess the man went on to stay in jail and I went home, so in the end everything worked out. I'll just have to keep working on controlling my emotions and make sure that the Iceman doesn't have a meltdown......

2 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Oh my.. why is it that safety of others sounds like a real dangerous job? sometimes threats test a person. being the subject of curses is not really a problem, but once innocent loved ones are already dragged in, it really causes one to blow up..

emotions are good, but must be kept within the boundaries of rationality.. glad you were able to be in control of the situation... and i hope you (and your family) always take care..

3:35 AM  
Blogger JB said...

In my experience, the iciest men are often those hiding the deepest and surest emotions.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home