Thursday, April 27, 2006

Yard Work

Well for the last two days I've been working in the yard. The day before yesterday I began mowing. Like always I had to air up the flat tire on my riding mower. To give a little history on my mower, it's a craftsman riding mower that my dad gave to me. The mower was not very old when my dad gave it to me, but he hadn't been using it and had let my nephews use it as a go-cart, so the mower deck was all torn up and my dad had put it back together. Keep in mind that one part of the deck was pieced together with part of a bicycle frame, so you can't adjust the height of the mower deck. It worked and it was free so I have used the mower for about three years now and you never just go out and start it up and began mowing. So after airing up the flat tire I was making my second lap around a section of the yard and the front supports on the mower deck broke totally off the deck. I believe that my mower might finally be on it's last leg. So after dragging the deck across the yard I had to go borrow my in-laws mower to finish mowing the yard, of course I didn't get much of a start with mine. I was able to get the yard mowed and almost got done with the weed-eating before I stopped for the day.
Yesterday after getting home from the gym I finished weed-eating and then began to work on our ditch line which was in rather bad shape. About two weeks ago the phone company decided that they needed to put a new line in, which is fine. But they dug up the ditch line and placed the line then pushed the dirt back and left. Along the front of my yard is a line of pine trees which are on the edge of the ditch and as you can imagine where there are trees there are tree roots, which the phone company managed to dig up most of them. Not that I mind the phone company doing their job, but once they were done they didn't even try to clean up the mess they made. I had all kinds of tree roots sticking up out of the ground, holes where they didn't fill up the trench they dug and ruts from the machinery the use to dig the trench.
So most of yesterday afternoon was spent cutting tree roots, filling holes and raking dirt to try and smooth out the ruts in the ditch. All in all I think it turned out pretty good. Once my wife got home from work, we even raked up the pine needles and set them on fire. I'm no landscaper by no means, but it felt good to see that I had made an improvement on the way the ditch and the yard looks.
Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with my lawn mower, it may just have to rest in peace, or should I say pieces.......

1 Comments:

Blogger Sea Change said...

My task growing up was to mow a couple acres of lawn, on a -- Craftsman riding lawnmower. Those were the coolest things back then. And some of them still run, today! My dad still has the one I mowed the lawn for years with.

That was back when lawnmowers worked, and were made out of quality materials. Now everything is plastic, and doesn't last more than a couple seasons.

I love yard work the most when it's starting to warm up around the end of spring.

Happy yard working!

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home